Thursday, January 29, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
"For we know that our patchwork heritage is a strength, not a weakness. We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers. We are shaped by every language and culture, drawn from every end of this Earth; and because we have tasted the bitter swill of civil war and segregation, and emerged from that dark chapter stronger and more united, we cannot help but believe that the old hatreds shall someday pass; that the lines of tribe shall soon dissolve; that as the world grows smaller, our common humanity shall reveal itself; and that America must play its role in ushering in a new era of peace."
Well, the first day was pretty exciting. Godspeed on the next 99.
Nina Simone - "My Sweet Lord/Today is a Killer"
by the clutterer at 9:48 PM
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Redtree cab sauvignon (05, Sonoma): tastes a bit like grape or raspberry jam, or, more accurately, like a fruity red wine. Not dry in the least, but not sickly sweet, either. Good for a burger, some cornflakes, whatev - a generalist.
Deepside - "III"
(Deepside is Ludovic Navarre, of St. Germain fame)
Underworld - "Born Slippy"
(This is the A Side mix of the original 12"; the lager lager version seems to be a B Side remix.)
by the clutterer at 10:57 AM
Tuesday, January 06, 2009
the dB's - "I'm In Love"
"Here's why Daniel Boulud's burger is better than yours: Ordering the original DB Burger...buys you ground sirloin stuffed with succulent braised short ribs, foie gras and preserved black truffle, made to order on a freshly baked Parmesan bun...In what must be a culinary first, the superthick stuffed patty sees the shredded short ribs actually cutting the fattiness of the foie and sirloin. What's more, the short rib stuffing involves numerous steps, the most impressive being pouring three bottles of dry red wine into a saucepan and then setting it aflame. Boulud has taken an essential yet basic piece of Americana and spirited it into a technique-driven masterpiece."
(from Amy Rosen's "Someone's in the Kitchen With Daniel," En Route, whose associated airline I can not endorse)
by the clutterer at 7:57 PM
Thursday, January 01, 2009
Massive Attack "False Flags (UNKLE Surrender Sessions 2)
Lost In Trees "Mvt II Sketch"
Best Meals, 08:
1. Guy Savoy, Las Vegas
2. West, Vancouver
3. Ad Hoc, Napa
Albums Downloaded and Actually Listened To and Remembered (no particular order):
1. Erykah Badu, whatever that album was called
2. Portishead, whatever that album was called
3. Cut Copy, whatever that album was called
4. Jamie Lidell, whatever that album was called
5. Hercules & Love Affair, whatever that album was called
Songs that I Could Not Remove From My Mind, for better or for worse:
1. Kanye, the song with the taiko drums
2. MGMT, the electric eel song
3. the Very Best, the song with the steel drums
4. that goddamn Lykke Li song
5. all those iPod commercials
Artists who piqued my interest that I can attest to having listened to (ie. honorable mentions):
1. Air France
2. Tindersticks (the new album, that is)
3. Liam Finn
5. Flying Lotus
Archivalist material that I am happy to have freeloaded on from downloads:
1. Emitt Rhodes albums that have not been re-released
2. Ahmad Jamal live from Oil Can Harrys
3. Dorothy Ashby, Soul Vibrations
4. older Tindersticks albums
5. the Willie Hutch soundtrack for the Mack
1. the US election
2. Kanye, for releasing one of few hip hop break-up albums (for the life of me, I cannot remember any other). Hopelessly flawed, though I believe that was an unintentional point: the autotune has a purpose.
Advice for 2009:
1. Buy low, sell high.
by the clutterer at 4:22 PM