Sunday, March 18, 2007

I've Been Busy, What's Your Excuse?




(via Palms Out)

It's true: I was back in Calgary for an extremely short visit (read: a few hours, before any of you get overly offended), mostly spent in a corporate boardroom. Had dinner at my folks, went down to my old bedroom, saw a few crates of records left behind. Only these weren't MY records.

I went through at least four crates of records a family friend had my parents store for him. It was an odd assortment of singles/albums from the 70s, covering Chinese diva Teresa Teng to Lou Reed's Metal Music Machine. "Borrowed" a few Mizell Brothers singles, a Stevie Wonder Tamla 7", rare groove 7"s, etc.

Then proceeded to watch School of Rock with my mom. Days later, have since finished watching Tenacious D and have decided the latter isn't that bad if you follow it up with the former immediately after. Y'know, for context:

Thin Lizzy "Cowboy Song" - never have heard the Supersuckers version. Will get around to it when I get around to it. Am sucker for the double guitars.


Love - "A House is Not a Motel (Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve edit)". Not sure when they started calling remixes 'edits' again, but whatev. Am glad they didn't just do a house mix of this and actually gave the original a bit more groove.


Bad Wizard "Champagne Boogie" - got super, mindblowing drunk on champagne when I was 16 or 17 and still can't drink the stuff.


Julian Cope - "Hanging Out and Hung Up to Dry": Mike Bell played this on air the first time I met him. It was kinda like watching Phillip Seymour Hoffman's Lester Bangs in Almost Famous, in hindsight. In honor of Mr. Bell, I do point out that Neil Hamburger has a cameo in Tenacious D.


More later.

No comments:

Post a Comment